‘Tis the Season to be Baking
The countdown to Christmas is under two weeks, everybody!! There is no better way to get into the holiday spirit than listening to some Christmas music while baking your favorite cookies!
I know on Pinterest there are a bazillion different kind of Christmas themed cookies you can make, but you can’t beat a good classic sugar cookie. I’ve tried a lot of sugar cookie recipes in the past, but have created my own recipe that I love!
Today, I am finally sharing the best sugar cookie you will find this season (I made these gems for Halloween too, if y’all remember with my pumpkin spice buttercream)! And, as promised, here is the cookie recipe on the blog. These sugar cookies are really easy to make and are 1000x tastier than the store-bought, pull-apart sugar cookie dough.
As I’m getting older, I am really enjoying taking the time to make things from scratch because it always tastes so much better! Andy has been begging me to make some sugar cookies and tonight seemed like the perfect evening to do so.
The Best Homemade Sugar Cookies
3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) softened butter
3 1/2 cups flour
3 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350
- Mix softened butter with sugar and powdered sugar in stand mixer
- Mix in two eggs, then add vanilla and almond extract
- Add in flour, baking powder, and salt
- Mix all ingredients until combined
- Form dough with hands and roll out onto parchment paper
- Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness
- Use cookie cutters to cut out designs and place on ungreased cookie sheet
- Place cookie sheet in the fridge for 15 minutes to keep the shape of the cutout cookies
- Bake for 8-10 minutes in the oven
- Let cool thoroughly before icing
This recipe makes 2 dozen regular sized sugar cookies or 4 dozen mini sugar cookies.
Lately, I’ve been loving the mini cookie cutters because they make the perfect bite-sized cookies. They also fit much better in our cookie jar.
I found these adorable cookie cutters and cookie sheet together at HomeGoods for only $12.99!! I always get my holiday sprinkles from here as well.
Bubbly Wife Tip: make sure you refrigerate each batch of cookies for the entire 15 minutes before placing in the oven. It is WORTH the wait! This will ensure for a perfect sugar cookie design.
Any special traditions you and your loved ones enjoy?! Share below and let me know what you think!!